Artificial Intelligence is a key technology driving the global digital revolution. It offers a range of new opportunities to break down existing barriers to human development and social inclusion and help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development(BMZ), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) implements the project “FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence for All” which strives for a more open, inclusive and sustainable approach to AI on the international level. Therefore, FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence for All, under the umbrella the Digital Transformation Centre Kenya, pursues three main goals:
- Removing entry barriers to AI – through access to training data and AI technologies for local innovation: FAIR Forward facilitates the provision of open, non-discriminatory and inclusive training data and open source AI applications. Open access to African and Asian language data is a key priority to enable the development of AI-based voice interaction in local languages to empower marginalised groups.
- Strengthening local technical know-how on AI – capacity development in Africa and Asia: FAIR Forward supports digital learning and training for the development of the use of AI and fosters cooperation with German and European research institutions and businesses.
- Developing policy frameworks ready for AI – ethical AI, data protection and privacy: FAIR Forward advocated for value-based AI that is rooted in human rights, international norms such as accountability, transparency of decision making and privacy.
Like other African countries, Kenya is also experiences a strong uptake of emerging technologies, with AI initiatives such as Depp Learning Indaba, Data Science Africa and Women in Machine Learning and Data Science forming across the continent. The African Union is also recognising the potential for AI in solving complex problems and the creation of economic prosperity in its Digital Transformation Strategy for Africa 2020-2030. Furthermore, in 2019, Kenya’s Governmental Taskforce on Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence observed that:
- The appropriate policy and regulatory approach could foster the development and adoption of AI by various sectors. The risks associated with evolving applications of AI and machine learning, including data standards, privacy considerations, ethical issues, criminal and civil liability, are all properly the subject of regulation.
- As AI evolves, it can greatly benefit society by powering the information economy, fostering better informed decisions and helping unlock answers to questions that are currently unanswerable. Therefore, it is beneficial to better understand AI in a manner that maximises its benefit to society.
To that end, FAIR Forward seeks a consultancy firm to convene stakeholders to form a multi-stakeholder AI practitioners’ group and proceed to develop an AI practitioner’s guide. Interested companies must provide verifiable proof of qualifications and experience in similar/related services. The tenderer is also requested to provide a summary assessment of the team proposed and must specify their positions, tasks and qualifications for each expert. More details are provided in the Terms of Reference.
Send a blank email by 24th Nov 2021 expressing your interest with tender reference 83397532 in the subject line to:-([email protected]). You will receive tender documents with further information by 25th Nov 2021
Kindly submit your signed/stamped complete proposals as specified in the tender documents in Hard copies and a digital copy in a Flash thumb drive in PDF Format. Submission should be in two separate envelopes marked financial and technical with reference number 83397532 to the address below
GIZ Office Nairobi
Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
P. O. Box 41607 00100 Nairobi
SBM Bank Building, Riverside Drive
Failure to address correctly will lead to disqualification
Deadline for submission is 3rd December 2021
Bidders are not allowed to contact or discuss any aspect of the tender with GIZ personnel before closing of the tender as it will lead to automatic disqualification. All queries should be raised and addressed to [email protected]